Buzzer-beater lifts Syracuse past St. John’s 60-57Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013
With the scored tied and St. John’s inbounding on its offensive end of the court, Sykes stole the inbounds pass from her former high school teammate, Nadirah McKenith, and banked in a shot from 50 feet just ahead of the buzzer.
An offensive rebound by the Red Storm (9-8, 3-2 Big East) had given them the chance to hold for the final shot, but after a timeout, a pass was deflected out of bounds with 2.8 seconds left, setting up the improbable final play.
Sykes led the Orange (16-2, 4-1) with 16 points and seven rebounds. Kayla Alexander and Shakeya Leary added 14 points each and Rachel Coffey had five assists. Alexander sits at 1,785 points in her career, two behind Nicole Michael’s program record.
The Red Storm’s Shenneika Smith led all scorers with 21 points and Aliyyah Handford added 15.
- UCLA women spend time over Thanksgiving helping others
- No. 1 UConn women breeze past Chattanooga 79-31
- POLL ALERT: UConn unanimous No. 1 in AP women's basketball poll; Seton Hall, DePaul, UCLA in
- No. 13 Stanford women beat Purdue in OT, 71-65 at Gulf Coast
- Dayton upsets No. 22 Louisville at Gulf Coast Showcase 79-66
- Higgs helps No. 8 Texas defeat No. 4 Lady Vols 64-53
- Grant leads St. John's to 74-70 win over South Florida
- Jones helps No. 6 Maryland rout Pittsburgh 70-49
- UConn remains No. 1 in AP women's hoops poll
- The Women's Top Twenty Five
- No. 2 South Carolina women beat Hawaii 67-51
- Dornstauder leads No. 16 Arizona St. past Bakersfield 60-47
- No. 8 Mississippi St. beats Savannah St. 92-25
- High-profile mid-major home games more common with women
- No. 12 Kentucky women cruise past Jackson State 92-24
- No. 21 Oklahoma women defeat Boston College 76-61