No. 17 N. Carolina women top East Carolina 76-67Wednesday, Dec 19, 2012
Krista Gross had 10 points and 10 rebounds for the Tar Heels (11-1), who trailed 32-31 at the half.
Whitny Edwards scored 15 points for the Pirates (8-3), Britny Edwards had 12 and Celeste Stewart 10.
The Tar Heels opened the second half with a 9-2 run, but East Carolina hung in, closing to 43-40 on Whitny Edwards’ two free throws.
The Tar Heels’ Danielle Butts made two free throws for a 53-44 advantage with 8:37 remaining.
Britny Edwards made two foul shots with 1:52 to go to close to 69-67, but a layup by Gross, a 3-pointer by Janesha Ebron and a trey by Ruffin-Pratt made it 74-67 with 41 seconds left.
North Carolina’s loss was 102-57 to Tennessee on Dec. 2.
- Freshman Smith is Stanford's first international recruit
- No. 19 Northwestern women beat Eastern Washington 74-70
- No. 24 George Washington women beat Houston 82-78
- No. 15 Duke women defeat Idaho 74-68 in Cancun Challenge
- No. 8 Texas has easy time with Hampton, 79-52
- No. 12 Kentucky women roll past Eastern Michigan 89-67
- No. 14 Florida State women trounce North Florida 80-28