Florida State women upset No. 17 Vanderbilt 73-59Saturday, Nov 24, 2012
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP)—Leonor Rodriguez led five players in double figures with 16 points as the Florida State women’s basketball team defeated No. 17 Vanderbilt 73-59 Saturday at the San Juan Shootout.
The Seminoles are 5-0 for the third time in four years. The 14-point margin of victory was Florida State’s smallest this year, having beaten four straight opponents by at least 30 points for the first time in program history to begin the year.
The loss was the third straight for the Commodores (3-3), all coming at the hands of unranked foes.
Rodriguez hit four free throws in the final 50 seconds to ice the game.
Natasha Howard (15 points), Alexa Deluzio (14), Chasity Clayton (13) and Chelsea Davis (10) also scored in double figures for the Seminoles.
Florida State’s Cheetah Delgado, a second generation Puerto Rican, dished out nine assists and made four steals with family and friends in attendance.
- No. 2 South Carolina women beat Hawaii 67-51
- Dornstauder leads No. 16 Arizona St. past Bakersfield 60-47
- No. 8 Mississippi St. beats Savannah St. 92-25
- High-profile mid-major home games more common with women
- No. 12 Kentucky women cruise past Jackson State 92-24
- No. 16 Arizona State women run away from Hawaii, 75-49
- No. 19 Northwestern women beat East Carolina 78-75
- Purdue women edge No. 22 Louisville 62-60
- No. 13 Stanford women beat Purdue in OT, 71-65 at Gulf Coast
- Dayton upsets No. 22 Louisville at Gulf Coast Showcase 79-66
- Higgs helps No. 8 Texas defeat No. 4 Lady Vols 64-53
- Grant leads St. John's to 74-70 win over South Florida
- Jones helps No. 6 Maryland rout Pittsburgh 70-49
- No. 21 Oklahoma women defeat Boston College 76-61
- Cable helps No. 3 Notre Dame beat UCLA 92-84 in overtime
- No. 2 South Carolina beats Cal State Bakersfield 90-71