BERKELEY, Calif. (AP)—Layshia Clarendon scored 20 points and Gennifer Brandon added 13 points and 13 rebounds to lead No. 11 California to a 72-56 victory against Georgetown for the Cal Classic title on Saturday.
Talia Caldwell had 12 points and nine rebounds for the Golden Bears (5-0), who shot 50 percent (27 of 54) from the floor en route to winning their own tournament for the eighth time in the last 10 years.
Sugar Rodgers scored 20 points and Andrea White 15 for the Hoyas (4-2).
Clarendon, the tournament MVP, and Eliza Pierre hit 3-pointers to spark a 15-4 run over a 4:32 second-half stretch that gave the Golden Bears a 53-41 lead with 11:26 remaining. Georgetown got no closer than seven points the rest of the way.
Pierre had 10 points.
- Wilson lifts No. 2 South Carolina past No. 16 Arizona State
- No. 8 Mississippi St cruises past Norfolk State, 92-34
- No. 20 Michigan State women cruise past Cincinnati 103-63
- Mitchell leads No. 11 Ohio State to 75-65 defeat of Liberty
- No. 3 Irish use balanced effort to rout Denver 94-52
- Chidom leads No. 15 Duke women to 86-48 win over Iowa State
- Bulgak helps No. 14 Florida State beat LIU 78-42
- Wiese and Weisner lead No. 7 Oregon State in rout of Hofstra
- Lyon leads No. 19 Northwestern women past Creighton, 75-52
- Jones helps No. 6 Maryland hold off South Dakota St 62-55
- Blair wins 700th game as No. 10 Texas A&M women beat Cal
- No. 22 Louisville women pull away to beat Marist 65-53
- No. 24 George Washington women edge No. 25 Iowa 81-77 in 2OT
- Defense helps No. 4 Lady Vols outlast Albany 63-55
- No. 13 Stanford women cruise past Missouri State 82-65
- Freshman Smith is Stanford's first international recruit