After 12 ties and 10 lead changes, the Mountaineers got within 65-63 with 1:42 left. The Lady Tigers (2-2), coming off back-to-back losses at Hampton and Georgetown, held them scoreless the rest of the way.
Ballard made a layup and Theresa Plaisance was 4 for 4 from the free-throw line to seal the win in the FIU Thanksgiving Classic.
Leading 38-36 with 18:08 left, the Lady Tigers went cold, failing to score for more than 4 minutes. However, West Virginia (3-1) scored only six points during that span, and LSU quickly regained the lead.
West Virginia, which came in holding opponents to 49.7 points per game, was led by Taylor Palmer with 15 points. Ayana Dunning, who transferred from LSU, scored 11.
- UConn remains No. 1 in AP women's hoops poll
- POLL ALERT: UConn unanimous No. 1 in AP women's basketball poll; Seton Hall, DePaul, UCLA in
- No. 13 Stanford women beat Purdue in OT, 71-65 at Gulf Coast
- Dayton upsets No. 22 Louisville at Gulf Coast Showcase 79-66
- Higgs helps No. 8 Texas defeat No. 4 Lady Vols 64-53
- Grant leads St. John's to 74-70 win over South Florida
- Jones helps No. 6 Maryland rout Pittsburgh 70-49
- No. 21 Oklahoma women defeat Boston College 76-61
- The Women's Top Twenty Five
- No. 2 South Carolina women beat Hawaii 67-51
- Dornstauder leads No. 16 Arizona St. past Bakersfield 60-47
- No. 8 Mississippi St. beats Savannah St. 92-25
- High-profile mid-major home games more common with women
- No. 12 Kentucky women cruise past Jackson State 92-24
- No. 16 Arizona State women run away from Hawaii, 75-49
- No. 19 Northwestern women beat East Carolina 78-75