Asia Taylor added 13 points for the Cardinals (22-8), who will face No. 18 St. John’s in the quarterfinals on Sunday.
Leading 38-33 early in the second half, Louisville went on a 22-8 run over the next 13 minutes to take control. Taylor got the burst started with back-to-back layups. Then Shawnta’ Dyer took over scoring seven of her nine points during the spurt. Bria Smith capped the run with a 3-pointer that made it 60-41 with 3:53 left.
A back and forth first half saw Villanova take a 29-26. After the Wildcats committed a foul with 2.9 seconds left, Schimmel hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to tie the game at 29.
Laura Sweeney had 13 points and 10 rebounds to lead Villanova.
- No. 8 Texas has easy time with Hampton, 79-52
- No. 12 Kentucky women roll past Eastern Michigan 89-67
- No. 14 Florida State women trounce North Florida 80-28
- No. 24 George Washington women beat Fresno State 61-53
- Stewart reaches 2,000 points as UConn beats KState 97-57
- No. 23 Syracuse women beat Morgan State 90-61
- The Women's Top Twenty Five
- Williams' 29 leads No. 18 South Florida women past Butler
- No. 8 Mississippi State beats Mississippi Valley 109-37
- Santa Clara women stun No. 13 Stanford 61-58
- No. 3 Notre Dame runs away from Valparaiso
- DeShields helps No. 4 Tennessee outlast Chattanooga 59-57
- UConn stays No. 1 in AP women's hoops poll; Iowa in at 25