After Kane’s three-point play with 1:42 remaining gave the 10th-seeded Wildcats (17-13) their biggest lead, 55-47, Villanova made just 6 of 14 free throws to barely hang on.
Jasmine Crew scored nine straight points as the 15th-seeded Pirates (8-23) closed to 58-56 with 32 seconds left. Kane answered with two free throws, but Alexis Brown’s layup got Seton Hall back within two.
With 13 seconds remaining, Kane was 1 of 2 from the line. Jazzmine Johnson’s layup with 4 seconds to go made it 61-60. Although Kane missed two foul shots a second later, the Pirates did not get another shot off.
Lauren Burford’s 15 points led the Wildcats and Crew finished with 21 for Seton Hall.
- No. 25 Iowa women defeat Wright State 83-77
- Williams' 29 leads No. 18 South Florida women past Butler
- No. 8 Mississippi State beats Mississippi Valley 109-37
- Santa Clara women stun No. 13 Stanford 61-58
- No. 3 Notre Dame runs away from Valparaiso
- DeShields helps No. 4 Tennessee outlast Chattanooga 59-57
- UConn stays No. 1 in AP women's hoops poll; Iowa in at 25
- No. 8 Texas has easy time with Hampton, 79-52
- No. 12 Kentucky women roll past Eastern Michigan 89-67
- No. 14 Florida State women trounce North Florida 80-28
- No. 24 George Washington women beat Fresno State 61-53
- Stewart reaches 2,000 points as UConn beats KState 97-57
- No. 23 Syracuse women beat Morgan State 90-61
- The Women's Top Twenty Five