No. 15 Georgia Tech women edge UNC 54-53 in ACCsFriday, Mar 2, 2012
GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP)—Tyaunna Marshall scored 21 points and had the go-ahead basket with 1:35 left to help No. 15 Georgia Tech beat North Carolina 54-53 in the Atlantic Coast Conference quarterfinals Friday.
Mo Bennett and Metra Walthour each scored 11 for the fourth-seeded Yellow Jackets (23-7), who held on when Brittany Rountree’s long 3-pointer for the win bounced off the front of the rim at the horn.
She’la White scored 13 points for the fifth-seeded Tar Heels (20-11), who lost twice to Georgia Tech this month by a combined three points. North Carolina rallied from seven down to go up four with about 4 minutes left and set up a back-and-forth finish.
UNC’s Chay Shegog hit a jumper for a 53-52 with 2:06 left before Marshall answered on the ensuing possession.
- No. 12 Kentucky women roll past Eastern Michigan 89-67
- No. 14 Florida State women trounce North Florida 80-28
- No. 24 George Washington women beat Fresno State 61-53
- Stewart reaches 2,000 points as UConn beats KState 97-57
- No. 23 Syracuse women beat Morgan State 90-61
- The Women's Top Twenty Five
- No. 9 Oregon State beats UC Riverside 86-65
- No. 8 Mississippi State beats Mississippi Valley 109-37
- Santa Clara women stun No. 13 Stanford 61-58
- No. 3 Notre Dame runs away from Valparaiso
- DeShields helps No. 4 Tennessee outlast Chattanooga 59-57
- UConn stays No. 1 in AP women's hoops poll; Iowa in at 25
- Bulgak scores career-high 26 as No. 6 Florida St. beats UAB