TOWSON, Md. (AP)—Lauren Carra and Elena Delle Donne, the top scorer in NCAA Division I, each had 15 points as No. 16 Delaware stretched its winning streak to five with a 65-46 victory over Towson in a Colonial Athletic Association game Thursday.
Delle Donne, a 6-foot-5 junior, entered the game averaging 29.3 points, but the 15 points were a season low. She struggled from the field throughout, making only four of 11 shots as Towson (11-6, 2-4) constantly double-teamed her.
In addition, Delle Donne didn’t hit a field goal until 17:46 remained in the game. She made seven free throws in the first half and had eight points in the second—all of which came in a stretch of less than 6 minutes. Delle Donne didn’t score for the final 11:29.
But Delle Donne still nearly got a double-double. She finished with eight rebounds and added three steals and two blocks in 30 minutes.
Delle Donne played only 22 minutes in Delaware’s last game, a 70-54 victory over Northeastern on Jan. 15, coming off the bench due to a leg injury. That’s the only game she hasn’t started this season.
Carra’s 15 points tied a season high for the junior guard, who also added six rebounds and four assists.
Delle Donne’s struggles didn’t bother the Blue Hens (15-1, 6-0). Their passing helped find numerous open shots as Delaware had 13 assists on 13 first-half baskets en route to a 39-18 lead at the break.
Tanisha McTiller led Towson with 13 points. The Tigers shot just 27 percent in the first half and never led in the game.
- No. 8 Texas has easy time with Hampton, 79-52
- No. 12 Kentucky women roll past Eastern Michigan 89-67
- No. 14 Florida State women trounce North Florida 80-28
- No. 24 George Washington women beat Fresno State 61-53
- Stewart reaches 2,000 points as UConn beats KState 97-57
- No. 23 Syracuse women beat Morgan State 90-61
- The Women's Top Twenty Five
- Williams' 29 leads No. 18 South Florida women past Butler
- No. 8 Mississippi State beats Mississippi Valley 109-37
- Santa Clara women stun No. 13 Stanford 61-58
- No. 3 Notre Dame runs away from Valparaiso
- DeShields helps No. 4 Tennessee outlast Chattanooga 59-57
- UConn stays No. 1 in AP women's hoops poll; Iowa in at 25