McBride scores 20, No. 16 Notre Dame wins
Notre Dame (11-3) and Loyola Marymount (6-8) each won their openers Wednesday. The tournament didn’t officially bill this as the championship game.
McBride hit 9-for-14 and Notre Dame made nearly 58 percent of its tries overall. Senior Devereaux Peters scored 14 of her 16 points in the first half as the Irish pulled away.
Becca Bruszewski made all six of her shots and finished with 12 points. Skylar Diggins added 10 as Notre Dame won its sixth in a row.
The Lions continue to adjust to playing without leading scorer Alex Cowling, out for the year with a foot injury. Renahy Young scored 21 and Candice Nichols had 17.
- Freshman Smith is Stanford's first international recruit
- No. 19 Northwestern women beat Eastern Washington 74-70
- No. 24 George Washington women beat Houston 82-78
- No. 15 Duke women defeat Idaho 74-68 in Cancun Challenge
- No. 8 Texas has easy time with Hampton, 79-52
- No. 12 Kentucky women roll past Eastern Michigan 89-67
- No. 14 Florida State women trounce North Florida 80-28