Jackson St cruises to 35-7 win over Texas SouthernFriday, Sep 20, 2013
JACKSON, Miss. (AP)—Javancy Jones recovered a blocked punt in the end zone to put Jackson State ahead for good late in the second quarter and Rakeem Sims scored two touchdowns in the third in a 35-7 win over Texas Southern on Thursday night.
With the scored tied 7-7 in the final minute of the first half, Ariane McCree blocked Cory Carter’s punt and Jones scooped up the ball in the end zone. Sims had a 2-yard score with less than 6 minutes left in the third and added a 1-yard scoring run with 32 seconds to go in the period.
JSU also had 2-yard TD runs from Clayton Moore in the first quarter and Sedmon Capler in the fourth. Moore was 8 for 16 for 81 yards passing and had 86 of the team’s 214 yards rushing.
Texas Southern had 38 yards rushing, including Daveon Porter’s 2-yard scoring run.
Head to Head - Week 4
- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Pleasant surprises and bitter disappointments at the turn
- Texas to let Baylor keep sex assault records private
- Family awarded $53M in Kyle Field deadly demolition accident
- Utah promotes 3 on coaching staff
- Iowa State loses WR Montgomery, RB Thomas
- Oklahoma defensive line coach Reynolds leaving