STONY BROOK, N.Y. (AP)—Miguel Maysonet carried 25 times for 160 yards and two second-quarter touchdowns as Stony Brook defeated Villanova 20-10 Saturday in the first round of the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs.
Maysonet, who was leading the nation with 156.5 rushing yards per game, scored on runs of 1 and 14 yards as the Seawolves (10-2) took a 14-0 halftime lead. The senior had a 47-yard run on the second drive.
After Wesley Skeffington added a 37-yard third-quarter field goal, Stony Brook recovered his onside kick and drove for a 29-yard field goal that made it 20-3.
The Wildcats (8-4) got their only touchdown, a 21-yard run by quarterback John Robertson, with 6:57 remaining after a 72-yard drive. But he was intercepted on Villanova’s next possession, and with 1:21 left the Wildcats couldn’t get past the Stony Brook 47.
The Seawolves will play at Montana State in the second round Dec. 1.
Head to Head - Week 13
- While we're on bad calls, SI revisits Oklahoma-Oregon onside kick
- Ex-Broncos RB Montee Ball arrested in domestic case
- Oregon RB Thomas Tyner takes medical retirement
- Prosecutors seek to restore Penn State officials' charges
- Riley announces departure of Nebraska DL coach Hank Hughes
- Committee to consider expanding replay in targeting calls