S Dakota St. tops in-state rival South Dakota 31-8Saturday, Nov 17, 2012
BROOKINGS, S.D. (AP)—South Dakota State earned a chance at the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs Saturday afternoon with a 31-8 win over in-state rival South Dakota in the teams’ first gridiron matchup in nine years.
The Jackrabbits (8-3, 6-2 Missouri Valley Football Conference) were led by running back Zach Zenner, who gained 164 yards on 28 attempts with one touchdown. It marked the eighth time he gained more than 100 yards this season.
SDSU quarterback Austin Sumner was 20 of 30 for 272 yards with one touchdown.
South Dakota got its only score on a blocked punt and 27-yard return with just under 8 minutes left in the game. USD (1-10, 0-8 MVFC) ends its season without a conference win.
Receiver Will Powell led the Coyotes with seven catches for 110 yards.
Head to Head - Week 12
- Mike Leach suspended for allegedly 'isolating' Craig James' concussed son in electrical closet
- Ex-Broncos RB Montee Ball arrested in domestic case
- TCU vs. Texas game moved to Friday after Thanksgiving
- Big 12 leaders agree to single voice dealing with big issues
- Syracuse dismisses 2 football players for rules violations
- NCAA academic committee considering changes to rating system