NORFOLK, Va. (AP)—Trailing 14-0 barely five minutes into the game, Villanova blanked Old Dominion from then on while scoring five touchdowns to rout the Monarchs 38-14 Saturday in Colonial Athletic Association play.
The Wildcats (5-2, 3-1), facing a prolific passing attack, surrendered two early touchdowns to Old Dominion (5-1, 2-1). It took the Monarchs four plays and 67 seconds to score on Taylor Heinicke’s 17-yard pass to Nick Mayers. It was 14-0 after he hit Kirk Spellman for a 47-yard touchdown. Villanova then scored 38 unanswered points.
The Wildcats nearly doubled the Monarchs in time of possession (39:56 to 20:04).
Heinicke had passed for 2,281 yards and 21 touchdowns in five straight wins. He managed 239 yards passing Saturday.
Head to Head - Week 7
- Headlinin’: Chizik memoir stands by his embattled quarterback
- Ex-Broncos RB Montee Ball arrested in domestic case
- Oregon RB Thomas Tyner takes medical retirement
- Prosecutors seek to restore Penn State officials' charges
- Riley announces departure of Nebraska DL coach Hank Hughes
- Committee to consider expanding replay in targeting calls