Davis’ touchdown came with 1:52 remaining in the first half. It was the last score of the night for SMU (2-3, 1-0 Conference USA) and was one of three forced turnovers by the Mustangs defense.
Zach Line barely missed his chance at a 17th career 100-yard rushing game as a Mustang, but was still a workhorse for SMU with 84 yards on 25 carries.
Garrett Gilbert completed 22 of 44 passes for 234 yards and a touchdown, finding Darius Johnson on a 40-yard strike at the 9:42 mark in the second quarter. Johnson had five catches for 82 yards including the score.
Jordan Leslie had seven catches for 80 yards in the loss for UTEP (1-5, 0-2).
Head to Head - Week 6
- Meme Watch: Here come the first-to-worst predictions for Auburn
- Towson adds former Oregon QB Mahalak
- Ex-South Carolina coach Spurrier to serve as ambassador
- USC athletic director Pat Haden to step down in June
- Oregon RB Thomas Tyner takes medical retirement
- Prosecutors seek to restore Penn State officials' charges