Monangai helps Villanova beat Rhode Island 31-10Saturday, Sep 15, 2012
VILLANOVA, Pa. (AP)—Kevin Monangai’s two rushing touchdowns and a strong second half defense helps Villanova beat Rhode Island 31-10 on Saturday in the Colonial Athletic Association opener for both teams.
Joe Sarnese intercepted Rhode Island’s Bob Bentsen on the opening drive to set up the game’s first score. That set up Monangai’s 1-yard scoring run to give Villanova a 7-0 lead.
Monangai finished with 55 yards on 11 carries.
Rhode Island (0-2) answered with a 25-yard pass from Bentsen to Billy Morgan to tie the game at 7. Rhode Island’s Dylan Smith added a 25-yard field goal to take the halftime lead 10-7.
The field goal would be the last points scored by Rhode Island (0-2), though. The Wildcats went on to outscore the Rams 24-0 in the second half.
Villanova’s defense dominated after halftime, allowing 23 total yards passing and 28 total yards rushing during the final two quarters.
Head to Head - Week 3
- Maryland’s new field isn’t as garish as expected
- Ex-Broncos RB Montee Ball arrested in domestic case
- Oregon RB Thomas Tyner takes medical retirement
- Prosecutors seek to restore Penn State officials' charges
- Riley announces departure of Nebraska DL coach Hank Hughes
- Committee to consider expanding replay in targeting calls