Vander Maten gained 73 yards on 14 carries, and completed 12 of 15 passes for 102 yards.
South Dakota’s Jasper Sanders broke a 14-14 deadlock with a 7-yard scoring run with 10:45 left in the third quarter. Kevin Robb booted a 34-yard field goal late in the third.
After Colgate (0-2) pulled within 24-21 on a 13-yard run by Gavin McCarney with 45 seconds left in the third, South Dakota (1-1) pulled away again in the fourth on a 5-yard run by Marcus Sims with 9:31 left.
Sims rushed for 127 yards. Colgate’s Jordan McCord rushed for 125 yards and McCarney had 108.
Head to Head - Week 2
- Superlatives: In which Ronnie Hillman remains in motion, all the way to the end zone
- Ex-Broncos RB Montee Ball arrested in domestic case
- TCU vs. Texas game moved to Friday after Thanksgiving
- Big 12 leaders agree to single voice dealing with big issues
- Syracuse dismisses 2 football players for rules violations
- NCAA academic committee considering changes to rating system