The Citadel overcomes Charleston Southern 49-14Saturday, Sep 1, 2012
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP)—The Citadel scored 28 points in the third quarter to pull away from Charleston Southern 49-14 in the season opener for both teams Saturday.
Charleston Southern led 14-7 in the second quarter before Rickey Anderson’s 27-yard run for The Citadel 1:29 before halftime tied it at 14-14.
The Citadel rushed for 479 yards, gaining 27 first downs on the run. The Bulldogs ranked third in the Football Championship Subdivision in rushing offense with 3,153 yards last season.
Anderson scored three touchdowns, including one in the decisive third quarter on a 3-yard run, and Ben Dupree scored twice in the third period for the Bulldogs.
Darien Robinson, who led The Citadel with 120 yards rushing, ran 54 yards for a touchdown to give the Bulldogs a 28-14 advantage in the third-quarter scoring barrage.
Malcolm Dixon threw a touchdown pass and ran for a score for Charleston Southern.
Head to Head - Week 1
- Locals confirm: Brian Kelly is the new coach at Notre Dame
- Towson adds former Oregon QB Mahalak
- Boston College adds former Syracuse coach Paul Pasqualoni
- TCU vs. Texas game moved to Friday after Thanksgiving
- Big 12 leaders agree to single voice dealing with big issues
- Syracuse dismisses 2 football players for rules violations