WASHINGTON (AP)—Randy Liggins and backup Jamie Cunningham combined for 211 yards and three touchdowns in Howard’s 30-29 win over Morehouse on Saturday in the season opener for both teams.
Liggins, who was 6-of-10 passing, threw a 50-yard touchdown to Jonathan Booker and a 32-yarder to Brandon Flanagan in the second quarter.
Cunningham entered after Liggins was benched after losing his composure, according to Howard spokesman Edward Hill. The freshman completed 10-of-11 passes for 132 yards and his 13-yard strike to David Wilson gave Howard the lead, 30-29, with 22 seconds remaining.
Donnay Ragland led Morehouse with 238 yards through the air but was sacked four times.
Morehouse and Howard faced off for just the second time since 1923.
Head to Head - Week 1
- Backup QB helps Howard top Morehouse 30-29
- Ex-Broncos RB Montee Ball arrested in domestic case
- Oregon RB Thomas Tyner takes medical retirement
- Prosecutors seek to restore Penn State officials' charges
- Riley announces departure of Nebraska DL coach Hank Hughes
- Committee to consider expanding replay in targeting calls