It looked like the game—which was delayed several hours by bad weather— was headed to overtime when Memphis’ Keiwone Malone fumbled a punt. The Skyhawks recovered the miscue at the Tigers’ 27-yard line with 17 seconds to play. Then Sandlin connected on the game-winner to ruin Justin Fuente’s coaching debut with the Tigers.
Karam was 12 for 28 and threw for 157 yards and a touchdown for the Tigers. Memphis’ Jerell Rhodes added 106 rushing yards on 24 carries.
UT-Martin quarterback Derek Carr passed for 211 yards and finished 19-for-38 with a touchdown.
Head to Head - Week 1
- UT-Martin beats Memphis 20-17 on late field goal
- Duke QB Sirk out with ruptured left Achilles tendon
- Stanford assistant Randy Hart retires after 46-year career
- Towson adds former Oregon QB Mahalak
- Ex-South Carolina coach Spurrier to serve as ambassador
- USC athletic director Pat Haden to step down in June