ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP)—Demarcus Rogers rushed for 103 yards and a touchdown and freshman quarterback Cole Gautsche scored two rushing touchdowns to lead New Mexico to a 66-21 win Saturday over Southern in the season opener for both teams.
Gautsche had 88 yards on eight carries, including a 47-yard touchdown run on an option keeper.
The Lobos scored 38 points in the second quarter, as many as they totaled in the final six games last season.
Southern turned the ball over four times and the Lobos turned each one into a touchdown, including three in the second quarter.
Joseph Harris returned a recovered fumble 10 yards for a Lobos touchdown, while Cranston Jones brought an interception back 39 yards for a score. New Mexico’s Chase Clayton also had a 98-yard kickoff return for a touchdown.
Jaguars receiver Charles Hawkins had five receptions for 71 yards and a touchdown.
Head to Head - Week 1
- Oregon puts Cliff Harris on ice amid internal probe, $8,500 in unpaid fines
- Iowa State loses WR Montgomery, RB Thomas
- Duke QB Sirk out with ruptured left Achilles tendon
- Stanford assistant Randy Hart retires after 46-year career
- Towson adds former Oregon QB Mahalak
- Ex-South Carolina coach Spurrier to serve as ambassador