WASHINGTON (AP)—Ryan Estep kicked a 31-yard field goal late in the third quarter and Norfolk State held on for a 10-9 win over Howard on Saturday.
The Spartans allowed a season-low 78 yards of offense, withstood a blocked punt in their own territory and came up with a big defensive stop late in the game.
With just over three minutes left the Spartans had a fourth-and-21 from their own 10, and the punt was blocked by DeAngelo Moody. The ball rolled out of the end zone to pull the Bison (1-7, 0-5 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) within 10-9 with 3:14 left.
Howard started the ensuing drive on its 45 and was held without a first down, including Terrence Pugh’s tackle of Terry Bradden for a 2-yard loss.
DeAngelo Branche ran for 77 yards on 23 carries for the Spartans (2-5, 1-4), including an 18-yard TD run with 4:38 left in the second quarter.
Head to Head - Week 9
- QB Focus: In his comfort zone, can Arizona's Foles let it rip?
- UCLA's Rosen dealing with nerve issue in throwing shoulder
- Jim Harbaugh learned several things from botched-punt loss
- No. 18 Tennessee won't have Kamara for South Carolina game
- Syracuse disciplines staffer for role in fight during game
- Ole Miss, Mississippi State tumble down SEC West standings