William & Mary knock off Rhode Island
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (AP)—Jonathan Grimes rushed for 111 yards and a touchdown to lead William & Mary to a 34-24 victory over Rhode Island on Saturday.
The Tribe (5-2, 3-1 Colonial Athletic Conference) trailed 10-7 at halftime before scoring 24 second-half points.
Derek Cassidy was 27 of 41 for 225 yards, threw two touchdowns and ran for one for Rhode Island (2-7, 0-5), but also threw three interceptions.
William & Mary took a 14-10 lead on Jake Phillips’ 18-yard pass to D.J. McAulay with 13:23 left in the third, and increased its margin to 21-10 on Courtland Marriner’s 8-yard run about five minutes later.
Phillips was 15 of 24 for 207 yards and one touchdown.
Cassidy scored on a 1-yard run to cut the lead to 21-17 but David Caldwell returned an interception 62 yards for a touchdown and Brian Pate kicked two field goals to put the game out of reach.
Head to Head - Week 9
- Villanova beats Northeastern, 20-14
- Defense rests in trial of Penn State's ex-president
- Oklahoma QB Mayfield faces uncertainty after arrest
- Ex-Baylor football player accused of 2013 sexual assault
- Judge dismisses ex-rowers' suit against University of Kansas
- Spring practice kicks off Tennessee's QB competition