William & Mary knock off Rhode Island
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (AP)—Jonathan Grimes rushed for 111 yards and a touchdown to lead William & Mary to a 34-24 victory over Rhode Island on Saturday.
The Tribe (5-2, 3-1 Colonial Athletic Conference) trailed 10-7 at halftime before scoring 24 second-half points.
Derek Cassidy was 27 of 41 for 225 yards, threw two touchdowns and ran for one for Rhode Island (2-7, 0-5), but also threw three interceptions.
William & Mary took a 14-10 lead on Jake Phillips’ 18-yard pass to D.J. McAulay with 13:23 left in the third, and increased its margin to 21-10 on Courtland Marriner’s 8-yard run about five minutes later.
Phillips was 15 of 24 for 207 yards and one touchdown.
Cassidy scored on a 1-yard run to cut the lead to 21-17 but David Caldwell returned an interception 62 yards for a touchdown and Brian Pate kicked two field goals to put the game out of reach.
Head to Head - Week 9
- Recommended reading: The awful demise of Stevie Hicks
- AP source: Duke QB reinjures Achilles, likely out for season
- QB Dakota Prukop atop depth chart for Oregon opener
- Prevot suspended indefinitely by No. 24 Oregon
- Junior college transfer Lagow wins Indiana's starting QB job
- Commissiong charged with animal cruelty, kicked off ECU team