South Carolina gets three years probation for violations
COLUMBIA, South Carolina (Ticker) - NCAA rules violations committed by the University of South Carolina football program under Lou Holtz will cost new coach Steve Spurrier.
The Gamecocks have accepted NCAA sanctions that include a three-year probation, the school announced Wednesday.
South Carolina already had self-imposed a two-year probation, a limit of 50 paid campus visits - six fewer than the maximum - for the 2005-06 and 2006-07 academic years and two fewer scholarships.
The violations included impermissible tutoring, participation by ineligible players and illegal summer workouts.
On August 16, the NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions sent a letter to the school saying it was adopting the self-imposed sanctions but was adding an extra year of probation.
Further, the committee said the school should forward a copy of the infractions report to its accrediting agency, and that it was implementing a four-year “show cause” provision on Tom Perry, the former Gamecocks senior associate athletics director for academic support services who had arranged for impermissible tutoring assistance.
“I am gratified both by the committee’s determination that the university’s investigation was ‘thorough and complete’ and by its adoption of the sanctions the university self-imposed,” South Carolina president Andrew A. Sorensen said in a statement. “The university further accepts the additional penalties suggested by the committee and waives its right to request a hearing on this matter.”
“We are satisfied with the results,” Spurrier said in a statement. “We appreciate the NCAA basically agreeing with our proposal. For the next couple of years, we will have only 83 players on scholarship.”
The Gamecocks went 33-37 in six seasons under Holtz, who retired following a 6-5 campaign last year. The season ended with players brawling with counterparts from rival Clemson, an incident that cost the team a bowl berth.