Jacksonville handles Florida Gulf Coast 76-69Saturday, Jan 11, 2014
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP)—Keith McDougald scored 19 points, including four 3-pointers, to lead Jacksonville over Florida Gulf Coast 76-69 on Saturday.
Jarvis Haywood added 13 points for Jacksonville (8-9, 4-2 Atlantic Sun), while J.R. Holder had 11. RJ Slawson had nine points and 12 rebounds.
Florida Gulf Coast (10-8, 4-1) was led by Chase Fieler with 20 points and 10 boards. Brett Comer had 18 and Bernard Thompson added 17.
Jacksonville took the lead for good on a pair of Marcel White free throws at 13:06 of the first half. While FGCU cut the lead to one several times before intermission, the Eagles never could get over the hump and trailed 42-35 at the break.
The second half showed more of the same, as the Dolphins kept FGCU at arm's length all afternoon.
Jacksonville shot 56 percent from beyond the arc and made 14 more free throws (23-9) than Florida Gulf Coast.
- Johnson's basket caps Fairfield's second-half rally in 69-67 win
- Texas Tech upsets No. 14 Iowa State 85-82 in OT
- Tulsa rallies to hand No. 16 SMU 1st home loss 82-77
- Thornwell leads South Carolina to 94-83 win over LSU
- Hayes, Brown lead Wisconsin to 72-61 win over Nebraska
- Iowa big man Adam Woodbury silences critics