WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J. (AP)—Kenneth Ortiz scored 20 points and Naofall Folahan recorded a school-record 10 blocks as Wagner defeated Monmouth 59-52 on Monday.
Marcus Burton added 14 points and Mario Moody 12 points and 14 rebounds as the Seahawks (6-7) defeated their former Northeast Conference rivals. The Hawks (6-7) left the NEC after 26 seasons for the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference this season.
Deon Jones scored 15 points to lead the Hawks, who shot only 29 percent (18 of 62) from the floor, making only 3 of 16 attempts from 3-point range.
Burton's basket with 4:17 left in the first half gave the Seahawks the lead for good though they would only extend their lead to double digits at 57-46 on Dwaun Anderson's dunk with 51 seconds remaining in the game.
The Hawks closed to within one point with 10:49 left before the Seahawks went on an 8-0 run, including three baskets by Burton.
- Svihovec, N. Colorado top Montana State 85-72
- Kansas concerned about defending hot-shooting Oklahoma
- No. 20 Providence ends skid with 75-72 win over Georgetown
- Barber's career-high 38 help NC State beat Wake Forest 99-88
- Trier scores 18, No. 17 Arizona holds off UCLA 81-75
- Northern Iowa holds on to beat No. 25 Wichita State, 53-50