MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (AP)—Shawn Jones had 24 points and 12 rebounds to lead Middle Tennessee to an 80-73 win Saturday over Akron.
Middle Tennessee (3-0) extends its home winning streak to 32 games.
The Blue Raiders took the lead 44-43 with 15:31 remaining and led the rest of the game. Akron (1-2) kept within 2 to 3 points for most of the second before Kerry Hammonds II hit a 3-pointer to stretch the Blue Raiders’ lead to 60-55 with 7:10 remaining. Middle Tennessee would lead by as much as 10 points in the second half.
Hammonds was 6 of 8 for 17 points, including three 3-pointers. Jaqawn Raymond also hit three 3-pointers to go with his 17 points.
Quincy Diggs had 25 points and Pat Forsyth added 11 as the only Akron players to score in double figures.
- No. 7 Georgetown beats Connecticut 79-78 in 2 OTs
- No. 6 Kansas beats No. 10 West Virginia, 75-65
- With Williams sick, No. 9 North Carolina beats BC 68-65
- Watson's 32 leads Creighton to 70-56 upset of No. 5 Xavier
- Gill's 16, 'D' lead No. 7 Virginia past Virginia Tech, 67-49
- Louisville's Pitino awaits NCAA interview about sex scandal
- Georgetown-UConn Preview
- No. 18 Purdue beats No. 8 Michigan State 82-81 in OT
- Villanova cruises by DePaul 86-59 in 1st game as No. 1 team
- Late basket helps No. 12 Miami edge Pittsburgh 65-63
- No. 22 Kentucky has it easy against Georgia in an 82-48 rout
- No. 19 Dayton rallies late for 76-74 win over Duquesne