Sam Houston St. advances, tops Oral Roberts 58-55Thursday, Mar 14, 2013
KATY, Texas (AP)—Paul Baxter scored 13 points, and sixth-seeded Sam Houston State rallied in the second half to knock off third-seeded Oral Roberts 58-55 on Thursday night and advance to the Southland Conference tournament semifinals.
Terrance Motley added 12 points for the Bearkats (17-16), who allowed only 19 second-half points. Sam Houston State will face No. 2 seed Northwestern State on Friday with a spot in the final on the line.
Oral Roberts shot 60 percent from the floor in the first half en route to a 36-29 halftime lead, but SHSU pulled ahead in the second half behind hot 3-point shooting. The Bearkats led 57-51 with under a minute to play.
SHSU nearly coughed up that lead, but a key Oral Roberts turnover with 9 seconds left helped the Bearkats secure the victory.
- Sam Houston St. advances, tops Oral Roberts 58-55
- No. 22 Kentucky blows out South Carolina 89-62
- Rosco Allen's 25 leads Stanford past No. 11 Oregon 76-72
- Michigan scores final 11 points to beat No. 18 Purdue 61-56
- No. 20 Providence ends skid with 75-72 win over Georgetown
- Pearl: Auburn's Kareem Canty leaves team, school to turn pro