Desharick Guiday, whose layup at the end of regulation forced overtime, led McNeese (13-16, 7-11 Southland Conference) with 34 points and 13 rebounds. Cannon finished with 20 points and sent the game into a second overtime on a 3-pointer.
Nicholls State (9-20, 8-10) trailed 86-81 2 1/2 minutes into the second overtime before rallying to tie it 86-all on T.J. Carpenter’s layup with 1:04 left to play. Cannon made two free throws to put the Cowboys up 88-66 at the 38 second mark. However, Nicholls State was able to knot it at 88 with 11 seconds to go on Dantrell Thomas’ jumper.
Cannon held the ball on the Cowboys’ final possession and fumbled it before putting up a fade-away 3-pointer that swished through as time expired.
Adrian Fields scored 15 points for McNeese State and Hardy scored five of his 10 points during overtime. Fred Hunter paced Nicholls State with 32 points, 12 rebounds, and five assists but made just 12 of 19 free throws.
- Savannah State edges South Carolina State 57-53
- Bird scores 24 points, California beats No. 11 Oregon 83-63
- Emery propels BYU past San Francisco 114-89
- DeCosey scores 23, Temple rallies to beat UConn 63-58
- Louisiana-Monroe knocks off Arkansas-Little Rock 86-82
- Boise State tries to rebound from controversial ending