Loyola Marymount beats San Francisco 61-60 in OTFriday, Mar 8, 2013
LAS VEGAS (AP)—Anthony Ireland scored 16 points, including two big free throws late in overtime, and Loyola Marymount continued its surprising West Coast Conference tournament run with a 61-60 win over San Francisco on Thursday night.
Ireland scored all four LMU points in the extra session before Taylor Walker’s free throw gave the Lions (10-22) a 61-57 lead with 9 seconds left. San Francisco’s Cole Dickerson made a meaningless 3-pointer in the closing seconds to complete the scoring.
Godwin Okonji had 14 points and 10 rebounds for ninth-seeded Loyola, which entered the tournament on a 14-game losing streak before beating eighth-seeded Portland on Wednesday. Ashley Hamilton chipped in 11 points and 14 rebounds.
Dickerson had 23 points and 18 rebounds for the No. 5 seed Dons (14-16), and his tip-in with 9 seconds left sent the game to overtime.
LMU will face No. 4 seed Santa Clara in the quarterfinals Friday.
- New Mexico tops Louisiana Tech 81-52
- No. 7 Virginia back track with a little luck, lots of 'D'
- Florida St looking to continue success against zone defenses
- Selection Sunday is just 5 weeks away
- No. 18 Purdue beats No. 8 Michigan State 82-81 in OT
- Watson's 32 leads Creighton to 70-56 upset of No. 5 Xavier