Morehead State downs Tennessee-Martin 73-66Wednesday, Mar 6, 2013
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP)—Milton Chavis scored 14 points and fifth-seeded Morehead State pulled away in the second half to beat eighth-seeded Tennessee Martin 73-66 in the opening round of the Ohio Valley Conference tournament Wednesday night.
Angelo Warner and Bruce Reed added 11 points apiece for Morehead State (15-17), which will face fourth-seeded Tennessee State Thursday night.
On top 48-46 with 12:36 remaining, the Eagles broke open the game with a 16-3 run, capped by Jarrett Stokes’ jumper to extend the lead to 64-49 with 6:24 left to play.
UT-Martin (9-21) cut the lead to six, 69-63 with 27 seconds left, but Morehead State made four free throws the rest of the way to ensure the victory.
Morehead State has beaten Tennessee-Martin eight straight times.
The Eagles dominated inside, outrebounding the Skyhawks 46-23 and outscoring them 42-22 in the paint.
Mike Liabo led the Skyhawks with 24 points.
- Morehead State downs Tennessee-Martin 73-66
- Louisville's Pitino awaits NCAA interview about sex scandal
- Missouri's suspended players Gant, Woods in doubt vs Vandy
- Auguste's 19 helps Notre Dame to 89-83 win over Clemson
- Smith-Rivera helps Georgetown handle St. John's 92-67
- Stephen F Austin cruises against Northwestern State, 83-72