Eastern Illinois beats SIU-Edwardsville 61-46Saturday, Mar 2, 2013
CHARLESTON, Ill. (AP)—Morris Woods scored 13 points, Sherman Blanford chipped in with 10 and Eastern Illinois secured a spot in the Ohio Valley Conference tournament with a 61-46 victory over SIU-Edwardsville on Saturday.
Eastern Illinois (11-20, 6-10 Ohio Valley) jumped out to a 13-2 lead to begin the game capped off by a Woods lay-up and the Panthers never looked back. Eastern Illinois led by as many as 27 points and took a 40-16 lead at halftime.
Blanford grabbed six rebounds and dished out five assists to go along with his point total. Austin Akers had eight points, eight assists and four rebounds for the Panthers.
Mark Yelovich scored 16 points on 7-of-14 shooting to lead SIU-Edwardsville (9-18, 5-11), which shot 39.1 percent from the field and committed 14 turnovers.
Eastern Illinois scored 28 points in the paint and got 18 from the bench.
- Meet the Tar Heels fan who drives to games in a custom hearse
- No. 18 Purdue beats No. 8 Michigan State 82-81 in OT
- Late basket helps No. 12 Miami edge Pittsburgh 65-63
- No. 19 Dayton rallies late for 76-74 win over Duquesne
- Dubious record: Washington may see most players foul out
- Johnson, Bama's tough run starts with No. 15 Texas A&M