NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. (AP)—Lamont Jones scored 35 points, including 22 in the second half, as Iona defeated Loyola (Md.) 90-86 Friday night to sweep the teams’ season series.
The Gaels (16-13, 10-7 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference), who had lost six of their last seven games—by a total of 11 points—shot 76 percent (19 of 25) in the second half, their best shooting half this season.
Jones made 7 of 7 second-half shots and scored 10 points in a span of 1:35 to stretch a 70-66 Iona lead to 80-70 with 2:12 remaining.
The Greyhounds (20-10, 11-6), who had won three straight, shot 59.4 percent (19 of 32) in the second half. Erik Etherly and Robert Olson scored 23 points each for Loyola and Anthony Wimbush added a career-best 20.
It was the first time three Loyola players had reached 20 in a game in coach Jimmy Patsos’ nine seasons.
- George Mason knocks off Saint Francis (PA) 58-46
- Graham's 27 lead No. 6 Kansas past No. 3 Oklahoma 76-72
- No. 22 Kentucky blows out South Carolina 89-62
- Rosco Allen's 25 leads Stanford past No. 11 Oregon
- Michigan scores final 11 points to beat No. 18 Purdue 61-56
- No. 20 Providence ends skid with 75-72 win over Georgetown