Brinkley lifts Delaware over UNC Wilmington 79-78Saturday, Feb 23, 2013
WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP)—Josh Brinkley hit the game-winning free throw and Delaware held off UNC Wilmington 79-78 Saturday night in the Blue Hens’ unprecedented fifth straight game decided by two points or fewer.
Delaware’s Devon Saddler scored 24 points to reach 1,600 for his career and has reached double figures in 35 consecutive games.
The Blue Hens (16-13, 11-5 Colonial Athletic Association) have won five of their last six, dropping only a 72-71 contest to James Madison on Feb. 17.
Delaware, which also beat the Seahawks 71-56 on Feb. 2, led by as many as 10 points, but UNC Wilmington tied it with 16:42 left.
Knotted for the 12th time, at 78-78, Brinkley sank his free throw with 1:07 remaining to end the scoring. The Seahawks’ Chris Dixon missed a jumper with 1 second left.
Keith Rendleman’s season-high 26 points led UNC Wilmington (10-18, 5-11), which has lost four of its past five.
- Walker, Boynton lead No. 13 Florida to 85-67 win
- No. 18 Purdue beats No. 8 Michigan State 82-81 in OT
- Villanova cruises by DePaul 86-59 in 1st game as No. 1 team
- Late basket helps No. 12 Miami edge Pittsburgh 65-63
- No. 22 Kentucky has it easy against Georgia in an 82-48 rout
- No. 19 Dayton rallies late for 76-74 win over Duquesne