Appalachian State downs UNC Greensboro 77-66Sunday, Feb 17, 2013
GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP)—Jay Canty scored 17 points and Appalachian State again dominated UNC Greensboro in the second half to sweep the season series 77-66 Sunday.
The Mountaineers (12-14, 8-7 Southern Conference) shot 62.5 percent in the second half in beating the Spartans 83-70 on Jan. 14. On Sunday, they hit 55.6 percent (15 of 27) after halftime to turn a 32-30 intermission advantage into an 11-point victory.
Nathan Healy added 16 points and Michael Obacha added 11, while Mike Neal scored all 10 of his points after halftime.
Derrell Armstrong led UNC Greensboro (7-17, 5-8) with 20 points, while Kayel Locke added 14 and Trevis Simpson 12.
The Spartans made just 43.2 percent (16 of 37) after halftime, including a 4-of-18 showing from 3-point range.
Appalachian State made 15 of 24 free throws to the Spartans’ 5 of 9, edged UNC Greensboro in rebounds 44-33 and won despite a 16-9 turnover disadvantage.
- Appalachian State downs UNC Greensboro 77-66
- Jok scores 23 to lead No. 5 Iowa past Illinois, 77-65
- Brooks scores 30 as No. 16 Oregon beats Utah 76-66
- Miller, Purvis lead UConn to 85-67 win over East Carolina
- Notre Dame rallies to beat No. 2 North Carolina 80-76
- No. 3 Villanova too much for No. 11 Providence in 72-60 win