ST. LOUIS (AP)—The Missouri Valley Conference has disciplined the officiating crew from Sunday night’s Wichita State-Illinois State game after it awarded technical foul shots to the wrong player in the closing seconds of the game.
The league office said in a statement Monday the crew of David Hall, Gerry Pollard and Paul Janssen wrongly awarded two foul shots to the Shockers’ Cleanthony Early after calling a Flagrant 1 technical foul on Illinois State star Jackie Carmichael with 40 seconds left.
The officials reviewed video during a stoppage in play that showed Carmichael kicking Wichita State’s Tekele Cotton above the shoulder on a defensive rebound.
The Shockers were trailing 67-60 when the incident occurred. Early made both technical free throws and his 3-pointer with 5.2 seconds left gave them a 68-67 victory.
The conference did not say how the officials were disciplined.
- Obama fills out his bracket, picks Kansas to win NCAA tournament
- No. 18 Purdue beats No. 8 Michigan State 82-81 in OT
- Villanova cruises by DePaul 86-59 in 1st game as No. 1 team
- Late basket helps No. 12 Miami edge Pittsburgh 65-63
- No. 22 Kentucky has it easy against Georgia in an 82-48 rout
- No. 19 Dayton rallies late for 76-74 win over Duquesne