Monmouth powers past St. Francis Brooklyn 73-64Saturday, Feb 16, 2013
WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J. (AP)—Jesse Steele scored 26 points and Ed Waite missed just one shot en route to 23 points as Monmouth defeated St. Francis Brooklyn 73-64 Saturday night.
Steele made 7 of 14 shots and all 10 of his free throw attempts while Waite knocked down 10 of 11 tries from the field. Stephen Spinella went 5-of-7 shooting for Monmouth (10-17, 5-9 Northeast Conference), which shot a season-high 56.5 percent (26 of 46).
St. Francis (10-15, 6-8), which trailed by as many as 11 in the first half, clawed back to tie it at 55 with 6:40 left to play. But Monmouth scored the next six points—four coming from the charity stripe—to pull away.
The Terriers did not get any closer than four the rest of the way as Monmouth sank 10 free throws in the last 3:35.
Travis Nichols led St. Francis with 20 points.
- Notre Dame’s Skylar Diggins may be her sport’s next breakout star
- Davis helps No. 19 Dayton beat Rhode Island 68-66
- Disallowed Boise State buzzer-beater should have counted
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold
- Mississippi's Saiz returns from eye injury
- Bird scores 24 points, California beats No. 11 Oregon 83-63