Wagner overcomes Vinales’ 42 points, CCSU 101-82Thursday, Feb 14, 2013
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. (AP)—Marcus Burton scored 23 points with seven assists off the bench and Wagner overcame a career day by Kyle Vinales as the Seahawks downed Central Connecticut State 101-82 Thursday night.
Vinales tallied a career-high 42 points, including eight 3-pointers. The sophomore surpassed 1,000 points in his career, becoming the fastest player in CCSU (10-13, 6-6 Northeast Conference) history to reach the mark. Vinales scored 30 points in the Blue Devils’ first meeting with Wagner in a 73-66 victory.
Wagner (14-10, 8-5) scored over 100 points in a regulation game for the first time since Dec. 15, 2007, when it beat Maryland-Eastern Shore 105-86.
Latif Rivers added 15 points and seven rebounds while Kenneth Ortiz had 14 points and seven assists for the Seahawks, who had 23 assists and shot 61.4 percent (35 of 57).
Wagner coach Bashir Mason set the program’s Division I record for wins by a first-year coach.
- USC freshman punches Blake Griffin in his man-parts
- Davis helps No. 19 Dayton beat Rhode Island 68-66
- Disallowed Boise State buzzer-beater should have counted
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold
- Mississippi's Saiz returns from eye injury
- Bird scores 24 points, California beats No. 11 Oregon 83-63