Akron wins 16th straight, beats E. Michigan 70-62Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013
YPSILANTI, Mich. (AP)—Brian Walsh scored 16 points, Nick Harney added 14 and Akron extended the nation’s longest winning streak to 16 games with a 70-62 victory over Eastern Michigan on Wednesday night.
Akron (20-4, 11-0 Metro Atlantic) shot 53.2 percent from the field, making 25 of 47 attempts, and was 11 of 17 from the free-throw line.
Demetrius Treadwell had 11 points and six rebounds for Akron. Alex Abreu had only six points but dished out nine assists and had nine turnovers. The Zips surrendered 21 points off 20 turnovers.
Glenn Bryant led the way for Eastern Michigan (11-13, 4-6) with 11 points. J.R. Sims and Anthony Strickland chipped in with 10 apiece.
Strickland tied the game at 39 with a pair of free throws with 10:14 to play but Akron responded with a 24-13 run to take a 63-52 lead capped off by Zeke Marshall’s jumper with 2:08 to go and the Zips never looked back.
- Will Coach K break Bob Knight's all-time wins record this year?
- USC athletic director Pat Haden to step down in June
- No. 25 South Carolina looks for win at No. 8 Texas A&M
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak
- Monmouth (NJ) cruises to 91-67 win over Fairfield
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team