Franklin scores 21, North Texas beats FIU 77-67Saturday, Feb 9, 2013
DENTON, Texas (AP)—Roger Franklin scored 21 points, Jordan Williams and Alzee Williams added 15 apiece, and North Texas snapped a five-game losing streak with a record-setting 77-67 victory over FIU on Saturday night.
The Mean Green (9-17, 4-11 Sun Belt) shot 75 percent (24 of 32) from the floor, the best field-goal shooting percentage in school history. The previous best, 67.4 percent, came against Sam Houston State in 1995.
Franklin was 5 of 8 from the field and perfect on 11 free-throw attempts for North Texas, which avenged a 70-64 loss to FIU in Miami on Jan. 17—the first meeting as head coaches between longtime Big East assistants. NT’s Tony Benford coached at Marquette, while FIU’s Richard Pitino worked under his father, Rick, at Louisville.
Tymell Murphy led the Golden Panthers (13-11, 8-7) with 23 points on 10-of-12 shooting. Deric Hill had 15 points and five steals.
- Revised: Yahoo! Sports experts pick the Final Four
- Hield's 3-pointer lifts No. 3 Oklahoma past No. 24 Texas
- Big Week: South Carolina could move to top of SEC standings
- Villanova No. 1 in AP college hoops poll for first time
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee
- White-hot Warney leads Stony Brook past Hartford 85-72