NEW YORK (AP)—Kenneth Ortiz scored 17 points and Wagner didn’t let the disappearance of an 11-point, second-half lead stop it from defeating Northeast Conference-foe Sacred Heart 84-78 in overtime Thursday night.
The Seahawks (12-8, 6-3) led 49-38 with 14:01 remaining, but Sacred Heart (8-12, 6-3) chipped to within 56-53 with 8:06 left and then closed regulation with an 8-2 run to force overtime. Shane Gibson drained consecutive 3-pointers to start the run, and then Phil Gaetano hit two free throws with 28 seconds left to tie it 71-71 and force the extra session.
Wagner opened overtime on an 8-2 run. Gaetano pulled the Pioneers within 79-76 with a 3-pointer, but the Seahawks closed with a 5-2 stretch to wrap up the win.
Gibson, the reigning NEC Player of the Week, finished with 22 points, while Gaetano added 12 points and 11 assists.
Wagner improved to 6-1 at home this year.
- Kevin Coble shocks Northwestern, leaves the team
- Notre Dame rallies to beat No. 2 North Carolina 80-76
- No. 3 Villanova too much for No. 11 Providence in 72-60 win
- No. 4 Maryland rallies for 72-61 win over No. 18 Purdue
- No. 19 Louisville rolls past Boston College 79-47
- Thornwell, No. 25 South Carolina top No. 8 Texas A&M 81-78