Texas-Arlington (10-8, 5-4 WAC) shot 42.6 percent from the field, making 20 of 47 attempts, and was 21 of 27 from the free-throw line.
Chris Jones cut Texas-Arlington’s lead to two with a lay-up, making it 13-11, but the Mavericks responded with a 19-4 run capped off by Gainey’s jumper to give Texas-Arlington a 32-15 lead with 4:05 remaining in the half.
Kevin Butler had 13 points including three 3-pointers and grabbed 10 rebounds for the Mavericks. Shaq White-Miller chipped in with 12.
Chris Cunningham had 13 points including a perfect 9 for 9 from the free-throw line and grabbed 10 rebounds for San Jose State (9-11, 3-6), which shot a dismal 21.9 percent from the field.
- Texas-Arlington beats San Jose State 66-47
- Dubious record: Washington may see most players foul out
- Missouri's suspended players Gant, Woods in doubt vs Vandy
- Ingram leads Duke past No. 13 Louisville, 72-65
- Auguste's 19 helps Notre Dame to 89-83 win over Clemson
- Smith-Rivera helps Georgetown handle St. John's 92-67