Thomas Staton scored 14 points, and Trinity Hall and Kirk Korver scored 11 apiece for UMKC (6-14, 3-5 Summit). Fred Chatmon had 10 rebounds as the Kangaroos outrebounded IPFW 30-21.
Chatmon’s basket with 3:25 left gave UMKC a 61-59 lead, and Hall made two foul shots with 14 seconds left for the only scoring down the stretch.
Frank Gaines led the Mastodons (9-12, 2-5) with 17 points. Mario Hines scored 13 and Joe Reed had 10 points as IPFW lost for the first time at home in eight games this season.
Fort Wayne led for most of the first half, but Tyler’s basket just before the buzzer gave Kansas City a 26-25 lead at halftime.
UMKC shot 50 percent and IPFW made 51 percent of its shots.
- Christian Laettner's mom cried when he chose Duke over UNC
- Louisville's Pitino: Fine schools, coaches for violations
- No. 4 Maryland rallies for 72-61 win over No. 18 Purdue
- No. 19 Louisville rolls past Boston College 79-47
- Thornwell, No. 25 South Carolina top No. 8 Texas A&M 81-78
- No. 9 Virginia pulls away from Pitt 64-50