NJIT finally defeats Chicago State in 3 OTs 83-78Saturday, Jan 12, 2013
NEWARK, N.J. (AP)—Chris Flores scored 28 points, including a 3-pointer in the third overtime, as New Jersey Institute of Technology outlasted Chicago State 83-78 Saturday in a Great West Conference marathon.
The Highlanders (8-8, 2-0), who got 23 points from Ryan Woods and 14 from P.J. Miller, led 33-24 at halftime. Clarke Rosenberg’s foul shot with 0:48 left in regulation tied it 53-53, forcing overtime.
The first OT ended 59-59 after NJIT’s Sean McCarthy missed the second of two foul shots.
In the second overtime, Flores scored five of the Highlanders’ eight points. But Markus Starks’ tip-in with one second left tied it at 67-67.
In the third overtime, the Highlanders went on a 13-4 run that included three treys, a pair by Woods that sandwiched Flores’ trey.
Daquan Holiday grabbed 17 rebounds for NJIT, which hit 29 of 37 free throws. Chicago State (4-14, 0-1) was 14 of 18.
- Is Dana Altman a good enough hire for Oregon to save face?
- USC athletic director Pat Haden to step down in June
- No. 25 South Carolina looks for win at No. 8 Texas A&M
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak
- Monmouth (NJ) cruises to 91-67 win over Fairfield
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team