HATTIESBURG, Miss. (AP)—Jerrold Brooks scored 16 points and Southern Mississippi used a strong first half to beat Houston 73-54 on Saturday.
Daveon Boardingham finished with 12 points and Norville Carey had 11 for the Golden Eagles (13-4, 2-0 Conference USA), who have won five straight games. Jonathan Mills had 10 rebounds and six points.
With a 17-15 lead, Southern Miss closed the first half with a 19-0 run that was capped by Cedric Jenkins’ jumper before heading into halftime with a 36-15 advantage. The Golden Eagles held Houston scoreless for the final 7 minutes of the half.
Jenkins knocked down a jumper with 3:30 left in the second half to give Southern Miss a 71-44 lead—its largest of the game.
Joseph Young scored 14 points shooting 1 of 8 from beyond the arc for the Cougars (12-3, 1-1), who had their seven-game winning streak snapped. TaShawn Thomas had 10 points.
- Hammond, Nicholls State defeat Loyola (NO) 92-76
- Ingram leads Duke past No. 13 Louisville, 72-65
- Auguste's 19 helps Notre Dame to 89-83 win over Clemson
- Smith-Rivera helps Georgetown handle St. John's 92-67
- Stephen F Austin cruises against Northwestern State, 83-72
- No. 2 Maryland relies on Big Ten's best defense to win