Central Connecticut State beats Sacred Heart 84-78Thursday, Jan 10, 2013
NEW BRITAIN, Conn. (AP)—Matt Hunter led five players in double figures with 21 points and seven rebounds and Brandon Peel posted his first career double-double to help Central Connecticut State hold off Sacred Heart 84-78 Thursday night in a Northeast Conference battle.
Peel, a freshman who has started the last three games for CCSU (6-8, 2-1), finished with 17 points and 17 rebounds, both career highs. Kyle Vinales added 15 points and seven assists, Malcolm McMillan tallied 12 points and seven rebounds and Terrell Allen pulled down 11 boards for the Blue Devils, who grabbed a season-high 49 rebounds.
CCSU took its first lead, 53-52, behind two McMillan free throws with 9:02 left. From there, the score changed eight times before Hunter converted a 3-pointer that sparked an 18-13 run over the final 4 minutes for the Blue Devils.
Shane Gibson and Steve Glowiak had 22 apiece for Sacred Heart (4-10, 2-1).
- Samhan, Simpson lead Saint Mary's past Loyola Marymount, 87-55
- Graham's 27 lead No. 6 Kansas past No. 3 Oklahoma 76-72
- Ochefu scores 25, No. 1 Villanova beats St. John's 73-63
- Jackson leads Notre Dame to upset of No. 13 Louisville 71-66
- No. 5 Xavier finds shooting touch in 74-57 blowout at Butler
- No. 10 West Virginia routs TCU 73-42