RICHMOND, Va. (AP)—Darien Brothers scored 15 points, including 8 of 8 free throws, as Richmond withstood a second-half flurry by Rhode Island’s Xavier Munford to win 64-61 Monday night in an Atlantic 10 Conference opener.
The Spiders (11-5, 1-0) led 60-42 with 5:17 remaining before a 17-0 run by the Rams (5-9, 0-1). Mike Aamon’s three-point play started it, then Munford sank three 3-pointers in a span of 1:26 to make it 60-54.
Munford’s jumper with 30 seconds left cut Richmond’s lead to 60-59, but the Spiders got two free throws apiece from Kendall Anthony and Wayne Sparrow to hold on.
Munford scored 17 of his 25 points in the second half.
Brothers scored nine points in the first half, which ended with Richmond leading 38-28. Greg Robbins and Deion Taylor scored 11 each for Richmond, and Alonzo Nelson-Ododa blocked five shots.
Rhode Island’s Aaman had 13 points and 12 rebounds.
- Buffaloes escape with 59-56 win over USC
- Jok scores 23 to lead No. 5 Iowa past Illinois, 77-65
- Brooks scores 30 as No. 16 Oregon beats Utah 76-66
- Miller, Purvis lead UConn to 85-67 win over East Carolina
- Notre Dame rallies to beat No. 2 North Carolina 80-76
- No. 3 Villanova too much for No. 11 Providence in 72-60 win