Marcus Marshall had 14 points for the Bears (5-11, 3-1 Missouri Valley), who shot 54 percent from the field in the first half in building a 32-25 halftime lead. Missouri State finished the game at 47 percent.
Jackie Carmichael led Illinois State (9-7, 0-4) with 21 points and 12 rebounds. Johnny Hill had 14 points. Jon Ekey scored eight points but no other player had more than four points for the Redbirds, who had won four straight before entering MVC play.
Missouri State didn’t have a field goal in the last 4 minutes, but closed the game with seven free throws in the final 1:23, six of them by Downing.
- Does John Calipari’s new contract price him out of NBA market?
- Bird scores 24 points, California beats No. 11 Oregon 83-63
- Emery propels BYU past San Francisco 114-89
- DeCosey scores 23, Temple rallies to beat UConn 63-58
- Louisiana-Monroe knocks off Arkansas-Little Rock 86-82
- Boise State tries to rebound from controversial ending