Alabama State beats Mississippi Valley State 69-65Tuesday, Jan 8, 2013
ITTA BENA, Miss. (AP)—Joshua Freelove scored 16 points and Phillip Crawford added 15 to lift Alabama State over Mississippi Valley State 69-65 Tuesday night in a Southwestern Athletic Conference matchup.
Shawntez Patterson chipped in with 13 points and nine rebounds while Freelove and Crawford pulled down six boards apiece for Alabama State, which held a 39-23 advantage on the glass.
Alabama State (5-12, 3-1) made 15 of 30 shots in the first half en route to a 35-24 lead at intermission. Mississippi Valley State outscored Alabama State 41-34 in the second half but fell just short of the comeback. The Delta Devils made just 13 of 18 free throws, which proved to be the difference.
The Hornets outscored MVSU (1-12, 1-2) 42-18 in the paint and turned 15 offensive rebounds into 21 second-chance points.
Davon Usher led MVSU with 27 points and 10 rebounds but was the lone Delta Devil in double figures.
- South Florida beats No. 19 Louisville 58-51
- Villanova No. 1 in AP college hoops poll for first time
- Milton, Moore help No. 12 SMU rout South Florida 92-58
- McClellan, Newton lead No. 17 Miami past Georgia Tech 75-68
- Kansas State upsets top-ranked Oklahoma, 80-69
- Louisville's Pitino: Fine schools, coaches for violations
- South Florida-Louisville Preview
- Jok scores 23 to lead No. 5 Iowa past Illinois, 77-65
- Brooks scores 30 as No. 16 Oregon beats Utah 76-66
- Miller, Purvis lead UConn to 85-67 win over East Carolina
- Notre Dame rallies to beat No. 2 North Carolina 80-76
- No. 3 Villanova too much for No. 11 Providence in 72-60 win