OREM, Utah (AP)—P.J. Miller scored 14 points and NJIT beat Utah Valley 57-52 Saturday night in the Great West Conference season opener.
Ky Howard 11 and Odera Nweke 11 for the Highlanders (7-8), who won for the first time in seven road games this season. Daquan Holiday grabbed 14 rebounds for NJIT, which outscored Utah Valley 12-2 in the final 5 minutes.
Ben Aird had 26 points, 13 rebounds and 10 blocked shots for Utah Valley (7-10), the Wolverines’ second triple-double in three games. Nick Thompson had the first one in school history against Austin Peay on Dec. 28, with 13 points, 10 rebounds and 12 assists in an 84-77 win in a tournament in Chattanooga, Tenn.
Both teams struggled from the field Saturday. NJIT shot 31 percent and Utah Valley 30 percent. The Highlanders owned a 51-33 rebounding edge.
The Great West, down to five teams, is entering its final season.
- Western Illinois beats Prairie View 69-63
- Johnson, Paige help No. 9 Tar Heels roll past Panthers 85-64
- No. 2 Maryland loses at home to Wisconsin, 70-57
- Crazy play, crazier win: Duke stuns No. 7 Virginia at buzzer
- No. 22 Kentucky blows out South Carolina 89-62
- Rosco Allen's 25 leads Stanford past No. 11 Oregon